Jeetu Patel, Chief Product Officer at Box, shares his best advice for launching products in new markets and building high-performing teams.
Box is one of Silicon Valley’s most innovative and fastest growing companies. As Chief Product Officer of the company, it’s Jeetu’s job to make sure it stays that way. He leads all of Box’s product, including a $100M R&D budget!
Many large companies struggle to maintain market leadership as new technologies come to market. Many of these companies fail as their legacy products are rendered redundant once competitors go to market with new technologies.
Jeetu has helped Box avoid this fate by staying focused on building products that the company is uniquely capable of building, making sure those products are 10x better than what’s currently available, and building teams that are motivated to execute. He builds teams that have four key components:
- Diverse opinions and backgrounds
- Evaluated based on clearly defined product metrics
- Focused on solving one important problem
- Small enough for two pizzas to be enough for a meal
Jeetu shares some incredible insights on business and product strategy, leadership, and innovation.
Here are the highlights:
- How Jeetu merges product and business strategy while taking into account the emergence of new technologies (5:15)
- Jeetu breaks down the strategy behind launching Box Skills, his company’s new artificial intelligence and machine learning product (10:05)
- How Jeetu enables his organization to explore new technologies (17:10)
- Jeetu’s approach to building high-performing teams (20:25)
- What it takes to build a successful product in today’s world (23:55)