A note from the host
In late 2014, my team interviewed more than 100 product managers from companies large and small in order to learn more about the challenges facing today’s product teams. We learned that the average product managers wears so many ‘hats’, not just over their careers, but on a daily basis. It’s nearly impossible to keep up with all the different stakeholders, topics, and trends that impact the product development process. Nearly, but not entirely impossible.
Launched shortly thereafter, This is Product Management aims to provide product teams with actionable insights into how best to ‘wear each hat.’ I purposefully don’t just interview product people, because being an effective product manager means learning and appreciating other stakeholders, from sales to business development, and from engineering to design.
We chose a podcast format because product managers are busy, and audio enables them to listen on-the-go or even while working on something else. So whether This is Product Management is a part of your evening commute, morning run, or the music to your elevator rides, I hope you take something useful away from each episode and are a better product manager because of what we do.
I can hardly believe that in just a few short months, we already have more than 4,000 listeners tuning into our weekly episode. We’ve received so much feedback, made numerous changes to the interview format and accompanying collateral, and I’m so excited about the journey ahead.
Mike Fishbein, Alpha
What our listeners are saying
We're still working on creating more material from each episode so you can refer back to an interviewee's reading list or takeaways. In the meantime, here's some additional resources to keep you busy and learning:
- 8 insightful podcasts for product managers
- 15 expert tips for being a successful product manager
- The definitive guide to definitive product management guides
- The most effective research tools for gathering customer feedback
- A guide to rapid prototyping tools for product experiments
- A day in the life of a product manager
- How split testing validates new product concepts without code
- The producer of TIPM talking about the show on The Everyday Innovator podcast
- New Years Resolution for product managers: 8 books to read in 2015